Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Clos de Brague 2005 Bordeaux; Bordeaux, France

Disappointing. I've had a few economy bottles of the great 2005 Bordeaux vintage, and all until now were outstanding values. This bottle is WAY more fruit forward than I want in a Bordeaux. Heck, this is softer and more fruit forward than a cheap California Merlot. And thin. The nose is barely there, and the flavors are very muted, but what is there is watery cherry and almond. I will taste again in a few hours, and tomorrow, to make sure it's not just extremely tight, but I don't think so. Usually I can still taste tannin, and there really isn't any to speak of. The good Bordeaux I have had, however have been produced by a specific Chateau, and this is done by a negociant. I know in Burgundy negociants can make some outstanding wine, but I have not heard of any great Bordeaux negociants, so maybe that should have been my first clue. Anyway, I'll post on the future tastings!

10/21
The wine did not improve. It got worse.

1 comment:

  1. Drinking it now, and I'm with you. I get some tannin but the tannin and the fruit aren't on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete