Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chalk Hill Estate Bottled Chardonnay 2000, Sonoma County, CA

Find of the month. Maybe year. I picked up some of this at our local Grocery Outlet. Quite old for a Chardonnay, but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. From such a renowned producer, I thought it had a good chance.

It is still drinking beautifully! This chardonnay has attained a beautiful honey hue. The only thing that may not be holding up is the nose...it's not bad, just very light. I am sipping it slightly chilled, and the first flavor I notice is nice, mellow honey notes that move into lime and butter...beautiful job integrating the oak: it's there, but doesn't smack you in the face. The finish is smooth, long and lemony. This is just begging for some lemon herb chicken, or a pasta primavera.

Here's the kicker: I paid $4.99. Holy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment