Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hogue Genesis 2006 Syrah; Columbia Valley, WA

First, this Syrah got some great press. A 92 from Wine & Spirits, I believe. I like it, but I don't think it's quite that good. The boquet has a beautiful cherry liqueur nose to it, and it's very aromatic. The scent leaps out of the glass. The attack on the palate is strong on the black fruits, but missing the plum component I have grown to love about Washington syrahs. Some nice vanilla notes shine through mid-late palate, with a very nice and long finish,with spice the dominant note . The concentration is not as good as some Syrahs I have had lately, but it's still a very strong bottle. Maybe it is a 92! I'm liking it more and more with each sip. One thing is for sure, it's a definite bargain at the $12 sale price that is so common on it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment